IMG_2295

Would you like to have a 28oz porterhouse steak?

Have it cooked to perfection: juicy, rich and succulent flavor, and meat that just melts in your mouth. I do, and in fact, just ate one for my birthday earlier this week.

I’m sure many of you probably want to say “yes,” but I bet those same folks might say: “Cody. I would love to, but it’s just not healthy.”

I’d say you’re right, but will it kill you?

I’m being facetious. But, allow me to share my perspective, if I may.

I’ve been a hundred pounds over weight, lost it, and became super healthy. I restricted my diet to such a degree that I became OCD about the food I ate. I let what type of food I would eat dictate what I would do, such as what time I should wake to leave for school or work. I would think thoughts like: “If I drove home fast enough could I make a meal and get back to where I needed to be?”

I too frequently refused to go out with friends and family just because they were going to a Denny’s or a Steakhouse and if I didn’t eat my food I would become stressed, forcing my body to go catabolic, resulting in loss of muscle mass. I would then become annoying and a nuisance to the people I was around and they would think I was an asshole.

These are the crazy thoughts I created for myself that actually diminished my quality of life.

Ridiculous, right?

But, what really is my point?

My point is that you shouldn’t be scared, frightened, worried, or fearful of food and to indulge or treat yourself every now and then with something like a 28oz porterhouse steak from a classy steakhouse. Food is fuel and, in my humble opinion, also something to be enjoyed.

I’m not being naive and saying that means it’s okay for you to eat Twinkies, Snickers, and take a trip to the Heart Attack Grill every week. No.

What I am saying is that you should say yes to you and allow for yourslef to experience food in all its many and glorious forms!

I truly believe life is all about balance and you can’t be too far on one side or the other on the spectrums of life. In this instance, the “healthy” side or “I don’t give a fuck what I eat” side. Both have their benefits, but I think they also have some serious drawbacks. I’ve already explained the healthy side and the “I don’t give a fuck” side will make you fat, sick, and look like shit.

However, there is a balance that we can achieve for the food we eat and that’s what I’m advocating.

Now, if you have some sort of health condition, such as celiac disease, diverticulitis, or any other eating disorder or illness, then you may have to eat super strict and clean. But, that doesn’t mean you can’t make a treat for yourself or find a specialty restaurant that may have options suitable for you.

And, for the rest of us, it really shouldn’t be a problem to find something that we can enjoy.

In case you need some help let me share some thoughts.

I usually follow something like the 80/20 principle and what nutrition expert Nate Miyaki calls “intermittent feasting.”

The 80/20 principle disciplines me to have 80% of the food I eat to be super clean and healthy, but the other 20% is up for me to have fun, like a juicy and delicious steak.

Intermittent feasting, on the other hand, allows me to have the biggest meal of the day at night, carbs and all, which typically lines up most times with social outings and the like. This can allow me to enjoy a not so healthy meal without feeling horrible as well as fitting my schedule.

It’s been working great for me and I invite you to do the same and see what happens.

My goal of this post is to share my perspective on how to have a better relationship with food and to not be in fear of what you should eat. Be smart, of course, but also be reckless here and there.

Enjoy your steak.

Thanks for reading.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s