I love food and I love to eat, but finding good, appetizing, and healthy meals to eat can be a challenge. My answer to this dilemma is a new series I’m introducing called: Cooking for Strength. Cooking for Strength introduces the idea that eating healthy can be fun, but also taste good at the same time while providing all the nutrients you need to put on and keep lean muscle. My first meal of the day to prove this: Bison Burritos!
I cooked these last night and they turned out great. They were juicy with a sweet, delectable flavor that set my endorphins on high because they tasted so damn good. I’ve never had bison or cooked with it before, so I thought it would be a great opportunity to experiment and come up with something creative. That’s what this series is all about.
So, without further or do, let’s get started so you can make these too!
- Prep time: 5-10 min
- Cooking time: 15 min
- Total time: About 25 min
- Servings: about 5 depending or portion size
What you need:
- 1lb of bison
- Flour-less or gluten-free tortillas (I used Ezekeil’s, but if you can find a better alternative go for it!)
- A bell pepper or two of your choice (green, red, yellow, or a mix)
- Your favorite type of onion (white, yellow, sweet, etc.)
- Cheese, or a cheese alternative (this may be optional for you, but I used sheep’s cheese imported from Spain)
- Your favorite spices/seasonings (I used Himalayan sea salt, garlic, crushed red pepper, and coconut aminos)
- Coconut oil (preferably extra virgin organic)
- A skillet or pan to cook everything
- Wash and peel the pepper(s) and onion and slice or mince them up for later
- Mix in a bowl the 1lb of bison with your dry spices (salt, garlic, pepper)
- Add your coconut oil to your skillet or pan and turn stove on low to gently heat up
- Grate your cheese if you’re using it in a bowl or container
- Add peppers and onions to heated skillet
- Saute or cook your veggies just enough until they are soft and start to carmelize
- Add bison immediately after to skillet
- Mix together
- Cook on medium heat, while stirringly occasionally, for about 10min or until cooked thoroughly
Making your burritos:
- Warm up your tortillas on a plate in the microwave for 15 seconds covered with a paper towel
- Put your bison meat on your tortillas
- Put your grated cheese from earlier on your meat
- Add extra seasoning, I put on coconut aminos
- Heat up in the micowave again for 10 seconds to melt the cheese (optional)
- Add some mixed greens and fold your tortillas into a burrito
- Eat and enjoy!!!
There it is: Bison Burritos! They turned out great for me and the taste and texture of the meat was incredible. Again, it takes some personal touch to dress things up and cook everything right, but I’ll leave that to you. I can’t give away all my secrets right? Joking aside, I hope they turn out as good for you as they did for me. Leave me a comment below with your results because I want to hear them.
Until next time, be strong and be you!