Sure we all love those long, hot showers where the intense and thick steam covers all corners of our bathroom in a dense fog, but are they really all that good for you? Well, maybe not so much. In fact, cold showers may be just the thing we need to get our body and mind right for the day.
Let’s take a look why…
- Improve blood circulation
- May improve testosterone levels and speed recovery for muscles
- Boost immunity
- Can be a good anti-depressant
- Improves your skin and hair health
- Speed up your metabolism which supports fat loss
(Note: If you want more detailed and in-depth information about each bullet point visit the links provided at the bottom).
If we stop right here, I think it would be more than enough reasons to start taking cold showers everyday. However, for me, I think the real magic of cold showers is the power it has on our daily ritual to start our day by forging mental focus and toughness.
Just think about it for a second. It is so easy for us to turn on the faucet to warm or hot water and a lot of us probably don’t even think twice about it. It’s habit. Which is exactly why we need to develop a better habit; and cold showers fit that description perfectly.
Perhaps the biggest reason, is that it challenges us first thing in the day. It’s a challenge that we can all win if we just choose to.
The shock of the cold water on your skin can feel like pins and needles just torturing you to turn on the hot water hoping to leave you in bitter defeat. However, if you resist and breathe deep and welcome the cold you begin to feel almost at peace and in a state of euphoria (adrenaline high anyone?). Your body springs to life as it pumps blood with vigor throughout your body providing you with a surge of energy that will last long after its over. I can attest to this because every time I take a cold shower it almost feels like a complete rejuvenation of mind and body once it’s over.
And, don’t just take my word for it. Look at many different highly successful people in their craft.
From Tony Robbins to ancient Spartans, all take or took cold showers or baths to start their day. Tony Robbins does what he calls, a cold plunge, which jolts him awake that gets his mind and body ready for the day (listen for yourself at The Tim Ferriss Podcast here). And for the Spartans, they took a cold shower because they thought it would help them kick ass…literally (4). If that’s not enough reason for you then I happily suggest you just take one.
Give it a try and I can guarantee you that you’ll be invigorated with life and energy that’ll allow you to conquer all things that come to you in the day. It’s helped me tremendously in doing so since I started almost two months ago and I don’t plan to stop. If you start, I wouldn’t be surprised if you felt the same.
The shower is waiting for you, so jump in!
- Clay. (2012). The Extraordinary Benefits of Cold Showers. Better Body Guide. Retrieved from http://betterbodyguide.com/the-extraordinary-benefits-of-cold-showers/
- Martinko, K. (2014). 5 Reasons Why You Should Take Cold Showers. Treehugger. Retrieved from http://www.treehugger.com/health/5-reasons-why-cold-showers-are-beneficial.html
- Ferriss, T. (2014). Tony Robbins on Morning Rountines, Peak Performance, and Mastering Money. The Four Hour Work Week. Retrieved from http://fourhourworkweek.com/2014/10/15/money-master-the-game/
- McKay, B. & K. (2010). The James Bond Shower: A Shot of Cold Water for Health and Vitality. The Art of Manliness. Retrieved from http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/01/18/the-james-bond-shower-a-shot-of-cold-water-for-health-and-vitality/