Water. It’s the foundation of life. Without it we cannot survive. Plain and simple.
Neil de Grasse Tyson, a pioneering astrophysicist, even goes on to call water the “Holy Grail” for all life terrestrial, and -extra, in our universe (1).
So why don’t people drink water or more of it, even with Neil de Grasse Tyson’s endorsement?
Answer: I just don’t fucking know.
Truly, I just can’t understand. It literally baffles me and leaves my head spinning seeing people go through a day only drinking diet soda, coffee, and energy drinks and keep on living. Wtf!?
Here are some excuses I hear why people don’t like to drink water:
- I don’t like the taste
- It makes me pee too much
- I prefer juice or something sweet
- Water’s boring
- And on and on and on…
People. Shut your mouth and drink some damn water! What is wrong with you!?
There is literally no downside from drinking clean, purified water in all its glory.
Well, to name a few things, water (2):
- Makes up around 60% of your body
- Makes up 75% of your brain
- Transports oxygen, CO2, and nutrients throughout your body (your blood is 83% water)
- Helps eliminate waste, such as through urine and sweat (you lose about 2-3 quarts of water through urination/day)
- Is one of, if not the main, source of electrolyte balance to make sure your Central Nervous System (CNS) works great
- Maintains proper body temperature, as through sweat
- Provides proper pH balance for your body
But, once upon a time, even I, barely drank any water. Instead, I used to guzzle down soda like it was going out of style. Pepsi was my can of choice and I’m sure that’s what I drank 90% of the time. Looking back now, all I can do is shake my head in disbelief and say, “what the hell was I thinking?”
It was horrible until I started living healthier and came to appreciate sweet and precious water. It made me feel a thousand fold better by increasing my energy, vitality, performance, and clarity in all that I do.
Doesn’t that sound nice? It almost sounds like the latest supplement on the market that helps you achieve the health you want. And guess what? For a lot of us, it is as easy as turning on our faucets and filling up a glass with water.
So, my friends. Please drink more water. Not for me, but for yourself and your body because it’s what it needs to survive and thrive.
- Tyson, Peter. (2004). Life’s Little Essential. PBS. Retrieved from http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evolution/liquid-of-life.html
- Importance of Water in the Diet. Duke University. Retrieved from http://people.chem.duke.edu/~jds/cruise_chem/water/watdiet.html